Friday, March 5, 2010

The jokester strikes again

I was looking through Jake's tests from the week before and he got a 27% on his spelling sentences. After their spelling test, they have to write three sentences using spelling words. He usually does well with this (95-100%). So, I was looking at the sentences. (Jake had just gotten a joke book the week before and had been reading everyday). They were all attempts at jokes. Of course he doesn't make up very good jokes, so to his teacher these sentence looked like non-sense. She even put a question mark next to them. So, I asked Jake, were you trying to write jokes, he said "well, yeah" and laughed because he thought they were pretty funny. Then Matt says, "that is really good Jake that shows creativity". Which yes it does, but you can't encourage an 8 year old boy to write jokes for a serious test. I wrote his teacher a note, she emailed me back and said, oh now they make sense. She said, I read them and thought maybe he was sick or distracted by something. I mean what kid attempts to write jokes for a test, mine does!

No comments: