Friday, January 16, 2009

Jake's Peculiarities

I was reminded today of one of Jake's peculiarities. He lost his 7th tooth today. Most kids can't wait to loose a tooth, so they can get money from the tooth fairy. Not Jake, he wants to hold on to everything forever. The first tooth he ever lost he cried and cried, because he wanted it to stay in his mouth forever. We tried to cheer him up by telling him the tooth fairy would come and leave him money for it. That sent him over the edge, there was no way he was going to let the tooth fairy have his tooth. I had to do some quick thinking. So, for every tooth he has lost we have had to leave a note for the tooth fairy asking her to please leave the tooth. Jake reminded me we had to write a note the minute he lost his tooth today.
The teeth aren't even the best example I have of how he won't get rid of anything. I realized it was a real problem when he was about 4. He was getting ready for bed and he had some thread hanging from his pj's. Without saying anything I yanked it off. His eyes got big and he grabbed my hand to see it the string was in it. Then he burst into tears and asked why I did that. Seriously, we had to keep the piece of string for weeks, until he forgot about it. He still won't let me pull any loose threads, so if you see any one him, don't be tempted. Just tell me about it and I'll get them when I do laundry.
My goodness, he has a rough life ahead.

2 comments:

Jennifer B. said...

Sheri, that is really interesting. I don't think you or Matt are like that, right? I know you're not. Jake must have been born with that personality trait. Is it hard to clean his room or get rid of toys and clothes?

~sheri~ said...

Jen- Matt is somewhat like this, but not to this extent. I get rid of clothes and toys when he is at school. I have learned that if I think he might miss it, I keep it in a bag in the garage for a month before getting rid of it.